Elise Benjamin, candidate for St. Clements and Cowley Marsh and councillor for Iffley Fields
Elise is an experienced local Councillor, first elected to the City Council in 1999, and has been a local campaigner in east Oxford since 1993. She has chaired many Council committees including Planning, Employment & Economic Development, and the East Area Parliament. In May 2011 she became the Lord Mayor or Oxford—the first Green in Oxford to hold this position.
Elise has campaigned against cuts in local services since the mid-90's and helped establish the Save Temple Cowley Pool campaign. She is currently helping traders to preserve the Covered Market, and petitioning to overturn the City's undemocratic centralisation of decision-making.
Elise was a Governor at East Oxford primary school for 10 years, and Vice-Chair of East Oxford Adventure Playground Association when the Meadow Lane playground was upgraded in the late 90's. She is currently a member of Donnington Doorstep Management Committee (10 years) and the City’s East Oxford representative on the City-wide Policing Board (8 years).
Amongst many local achievements, Elise has:
- Pushed the Council to speed up overdue playground repairs
- Worked to get crossings installed on Donnington Bridge Rd and Iffley Rd
- Got bike racks installed on Iffley Rd
- Helped estabish the award-winning East Oxford Farmers Market
- Supported the setting up of the successful local Car Club
- Represented residents at successful Planning Appeals
- Helped many residents with housing problems